The iconic eight-horse hitch and Clyde the spotted dog will attend the 2017 Red Hills International Horse Trials March 10 and 11. The horse drawn beer wagon and team will make a public appearance during the cross country phase of competition on Saturday making a two-mile journey through Elinor Klapp-Phipps Park. Here are a few factoids about the Clydesdales:
- Each Clydesdale can weigh up to 2,000 pounds
- The combined weight of the team, harnesses, and wagon is 12 tons
- When hitched, the rig measures 55 feet in length from the lead nose to the wagon bumper
- The driver holds more than 40 pounds of reigns in hand
- At birth, each new Clydesdale foal is given a name that begins with the same letter as the mare’s name
Make a trip out to the park on March 11, 2017 to see these amazing horses. Their travel through the park is intended to give maximum viewing opportunity to Red Hills spectators.
Photo by Marvin Mayer